Thursday, July 10, 2008

Off with the Blue, On with the New

If I had blogged last summer, you may have gotten extremely tired of the hundreds of pictures I took of my blue beauties! Without knowing how well they would thrive, last spring I planted a "couple" morning glory seeds by our deck and a "few" others by our fence.

To put it lightly, they took over the WORLD!! As much as it broke my heart to rip out the vines last fall and as much effort as I put into collecting their three hundred thousand seeds, we (mainly Chris) decided that perhaps we should skip the morning glories this year! (Sigh, wail, sniffle) Weren't they b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!!!!

Instead, our deck is now borded by boxwoods, red flaming bushes, a handplaced rock border and a new addiction: cosmos flowers. I planted these ferny, flowering giants from seeds all the way from Santa Cruz, California, given to me by my great uncle Orville. I doubted that they would even grow. Instead they, too, are thriving marvelously and are, in their own way, taking over their little piece of this world! (The ones in the front yard are taller than I am)
These morning glories on our fence grew so wildly that they climbed over the fence and took over our neighbor's bushes as well. Twice I cut them back out of her bushes, but they came back even stronger.
In their place, I planted tomatoes. They have had a little struggle, but seem to be pulling through nicely. The back tomato bush is as tall as the fence. They are finally covered in dozens of tomatoes, but only three have ripened so far!
And here is our lone corn stalk! It grew as a volunteer probably planted by the pesky squirrels! I pulled it up, thinking it was a weed but when I saw a corn kernel attached to the roots, I quickly put it back into the soil. It's brother did not survive my transplanting scheme, but this one seems to be hanging in their. We're letting it grow just to see how tall it will get!!!

1 comment:

Dorian, Michelle, Christlyn, Ethan, and Jadon said...

Oh...how I miss those glorious mornings out on your deck surrounded by morning glories...sniffle sniffle sniffle...maybe someday they will once again bloom in the glorious splendor of the morning