Sunday, May 25, 2008

Amigurumi

For those of you unfamiliar with the term "amigurumi", it's basically a Japanese art of crocheting/knitting animals and figures from yarn. For those of you familiar with my overstuffed yarn closet, you understand why I would migrate toward something as cute and irresistable amigurumi. I started the craze a couple months ago after seeing a crocheted penguin on "google images" while searching for penguin memorabelia. I just had to get the pattern! Once I had the pattern and quickly made the little guy (Paco the penguin--short stalky one), I was hooked (no pun intended)!!! Below we have Monique the monkey, Pierre, Penelope, Paco, PeeWee, Carter the caterpillar and the nameless turtle!
I started the fuzzy penguin weeks ago but had to take a break to work on a couple blanket gifts. I made myself only work on blankets and leave the amigurumi alone while I finished up my chores! You see, the amigurumi is highly addictive and I easily found myself spending ridiculous amounts of time working on these little creatures! I would crochet late into the night or get up early before work to put the finishing touches on this or that! I even dreamt about it!!! So, for several weeks there was only a fuzzy penguin head! A head and no more! On our vacation to Hilton Head, Julia (2 yrs old) found the penguin head intriguing and pulled it around by a long strand of yarn! It was then I realized the poor penguin had to get finished!
So here he is: Pez the Penguin (name inspired by Broc's crazed collection of Pez candy dispensers)! He is super fuzzy and soft! Sierra, our brown and black tabby cat, likes to drag Pez around the house and hide him in the corner of the closet like one of her babies! But don't be fooled, he's much bigger than any baby Sierra ever had!!
Dahlia the duck is the newest member to our amigurumi family!
What animal should I make next? I have a great Dodo bird pattern! Or should I try multicolored penguins? Do I stick with the bird theme or branch out to mammals?! I guess we'll see!!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Here are a few ideas:
first for no name turtle, how about Tuck; inspired from the movie Tuck Everlasting. What animals/bird to add...with the furry stuff, what about an ostrige?

shawkrn said...

Hey Girl!!
What a cute little collection you have started. If you find that a few need to be adopted out, I could take 2 off your hands.

I see that you have taken your crochet addiction to the next level. Way to Go!!

Luv ya', Shelly